Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:44:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Fred Gee <gee2@oldzoom.bga.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT's Storage Manager and FreeBSD

I haven't done this recently, but it was easy when we did it.

Take the LED voltage, and apply it to a serial line driver input, on
carrier detect on a port.  We then hacked a getty to run our program
rather than login.  It may not even been more than a code segment we
stole from getty source, I really don't remember.  It's been a number
of years, and we didn't use it much.  We also had a external relay triggered
by raising (or dropping) DTR, driving a 5v relay via some generic open
collector driver of some sort.  All very easy to construct, and very
reliable.  We used the output to reboot CSU's and other hardware
remotely.  We took the 5v relay to switch 12v to a larger contactor or
relay (depending on the load).  To trigger a DTR transition I think
we hacked tip or cu.  If you use expect, you may not even have to hack
anything.

Also, if you want to skip the external line driver circuit, you can
wire the LED input directly to your serial card (if you know how)
since the LED's are usually on 5v power.  If you remove the LED
you may need to replace it with a pull-down resistor, depending on
what is driving it.  If you don't remove it, you will need to
tap the circuit before the LED's current limiting resistor, otherwise
you won't get 5v, you will get a volt or two and not drive the input.
You can jumper the current limiting resistor, but it should work with
it in.

Since this is something I need to do as well, now that you have reminded
me of the need, I'll come up with something and follow up with the method
and results.  Should be a simple thing, take less time to do it than get
DPT to write a driver (unless they have something already).

George