Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 2009 02:33:54 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@panix.com>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   An Apache2 configuration question

I'm setting up a 7.1 machine thta will server as, among other things, a web
serrver. I've installed Apache2. I have some directores in the Apache
documnet directory that I wish to pasword protect. I have added the
following clause to /usr/local/etc/apache22/httpd.conf. I have created a

<Directory "/usr/local/www/data"
	Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
	AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

In the directories that I want protected, I have created .htaccess files
that look like this:

AuthName "Pictures"
AuthType "Basic"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/apache22/users2
require valid-user

I have used htpasswd to create the users2 file.

Ecerything works the way that I want _execpt_ the top level web page
directory index, does not display the directories that have .htaccess files
in them.

What do I need to do to fix this?

programs.