Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:28:38 -0000
From:      "Dead Line" <dead_line@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to "Quota" / "upgrade."

Hi all,

   I did and read alot about upgrading the version, and about CVSup
   or re building the kernel for some reasons like to enable the
   sound card or any other things.

   But i still confused too much about this subject,
   I hope this will be my first guide from you.

   I'm on FreeBSD 4.2-Release.

   For Disk Quotas,

1)  I First Edit my kernel
   /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC   to   options QUOTA

   or should I cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
   and then edit MYKERNEL insted of GENERIC ?
   im confused here. :<

2)  Second I edit /etc/rc.conf to enable_quotas=``YES''

3)  Edit /etc/fstab to enable disk quotas
   /dev/da1s2g    /home    ufs rw,groupquota 1 2

   what is the 1 2 after groupquota ? should i write the groups name
   for example /dev/da1s2g    /home    ufs rw,groupquota test

   assuming that test is a group.

4) Now i should recompile the kernel, this is the problem :<
  what i should do now? can please kindly someone guide me throe this
  steps how to compile ?

===

For system UPdate,
im On FreeBSD 4.2-release as i mentiond.
If i want to upgrade to 4.2-stable
what i do?

Should i install /ports/net/cvsup-bin   ?

and then?

Sorry if my questions is too long or silly for you.
but the freebsd.org handbook, mention lot of things
and im confuse about it, i would like to take the info from here.

Thank you again and again.

-Marwan