Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 22:34:21 -0400
From:      plasma <guest@bigmagic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   the island of BSD :)

I would like to start using FreeBSD, I want to rid myself of the Microsoft/Windows realm. I want to start using UNIX, I know some about it but not enough, I do NT admin and I think breath, eat and drink NT no time to learn something new, so I am putting off quitting smoking and am going to learn FreeBSD (from what I hear it is the OS of choice).

So I  have a T1 connection (generous friends at a cafe) they have an NT network. I want to leanr how to setup my own DNS,  sendmail, have a HTTPD server and so on..

I guess my question is before I go an download it, is there anything I need to do, or be aware of, besides making sure my hardware is compatible with the kernel. It pretty over whelming for me being in a sea of unix and seeing the sunny island of FreeBSD off in the distance. Please turn me in the right direction, i.e. books, docs faqs anything..

thanks alot

ps would a older (post microchannel) PS2 with on board controller (name unknown) with a 486dx33 and 20megs of ram be sufficent for a nice box?