Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:26:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VM out-of-swap problems

Is anyone actively working on the problems related to daemons dying after the
system has used a large amount of swap (the old "inetd() in realloc: junk
pointer" thing)? It seems to me that with the release just around the corner
this is something which should be killed now, as it seems to be an easily
repeatable problem for many people and would adversely impact many servers in
the real world (e.g. potential DoS risk).

If no-one has the time to look at this in their spare time, may I suggest to
Jordan that he look at paying one of the VM experts (John Dyson?) to fix this
problem before 3.0 rolls out the door?

I am quite willing to run debugging patches if someone provides them to track
down the problem, since I can repeat it quite easily over here (well, I
haven't seen it since I allocated that extra 140MB of swap space, but I
havent heard any reasons to believe the problem is gone without it).

Kris