Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 08:00:41 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, xaa@xaa.stack.urc.tue.nl
Subject:   Re: sysctl - bus error

>Hmm... with my current kernel (CTM: src-cur.1544.gz) and with a 2 hour
>old make world, my sysctl is giving me bus errors:

># sysctl -a

>kern.boottime: { sec = 825874628, usec = 710000 } Bus error

>Any clues how this happens???

gdb says that it occurs in localtime.so.LC2.  localtime.so.LC2 is the
result of running "ld -r -x" to mutilate the symbol table in localtime.so.
The error actually occurs in the static function tzload().  (The label
_tzload is removed because it is static and the label LC2 is renamed
because there is a bug.)  The error occurs in code that used to work:

_tzload:
	pushl	%ebp
	movl	%esp,%ebp
	subl	$0x2328,%esp	# lots of local variables
	pushl	%edi		# use a stack page that was just allocated

The last instruction causes a SIGBUS.

Bruce