Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:32:30 +0200
From:      Alson van der Meulen <freebsd@alson.linuxfreak.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Postfix???

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 03:27:06PM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm about to configure a small mail server for a customer on FreeBSD.  I've
> used the standard sendmail in the past with no problems.  However, the
> sendmail.cf file is a scary beast.
>
> I have recently read a lot of comments on this list in support of Postfix as
> an MTA of choice.  So, should I go ahead and use Postfix, or am I treading
> where angels fear to go? (Bear in mind that my experience with sendmail is
> "A LITTLE", but with Postfix it's "ZERO".)
>
> Am I correct in believing that Postfix is included in the 4CD distribution
> set in Ports or Packages?
It's included in the ports collection, dunno if it's on the CD's, I
think it is since there are no lisence issues afaik.

The postfix main.cf config file is, compared to sendmail.cf, a dream,
imho

The only time use different mta's is exim for small systems, and qmail
for high-performace, all my other mail servers run postfix. Postfix
can do Maildir quite easy for example, which is quite nice for large
mailboxes

Go ahead and try postfix, you won't have much problems with it's
config files. You usually only have to edit main.cf, though for more
functionality editting the others might be required

HTH, Alson
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:        alson@flutnet.org        <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
"Why is my "rm *.o" taking so long?"