Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:40:30 -0500
From:      "NetAdmin - FoxChat.Net" <Zapper@FoxChat.Net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Firewalls

  I'm running 3.5-Stable and I finally got my firewall up and running
... somewhat.  I have a dialup (sio3) with a dynamic ip.  I have 4
computers networked using my xl0 to a hub.  I'm still getting a couple
of open ports when I scan myself with nmap but not as many as before.
However that is not my real problem.  At my root prompt, I get the
following:

Feb 15 19:21:16 home identd [25081]: warning: can't get client address.
Socket not connected

  Evidentially I've misconfigured something but for the life of me I
can't figure out what.  No one seems to give an in-depth explanation of
all the things you "should" have or shouldn't have in a firewall
script.  Could someone please point me in the direction of a good place
to go for info on how to set up a firewall?  So far I've been to just
about every FreeBSD site I could find on the subject.
http://www.defcon1.org seemed to have most everything concerning
FreeBSD, are there any other sites?

Respectfully,

Mark