Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:31:28 -0700
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        mobile <mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   still wrestling with audio on ThinkPad A20m

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to sound on this
laptop between 4.5 and 4.6. I found a posting through Google that
seems like it answers my question: trouble is, I don't understand
the answer ;-)

<a
href="http://spitfire.velocet.net/pipermail/freebsd-current/2001-October/012415.html">[current]
Re: Audio stopped working on TP600E, possible ACPI casualty?</a>

In a reply to this, a poster said he had the same problem in
-STABLE and he "took a suggestion from -mobile and hardwired it to
isa port 0x530 irq 5 (the ISA emulation interface) and it works
fine there..."

Here's the relevant info from pciconf -vl:

     vendor   = 'Cirrus Logic'
     device   = 'Crystal CS4614/22/24 SoundFusion PCI Audio
Accelerator'
     class    = multimedia
     subclass = audio

from dmesg.boot:
pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> on csa0
device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

from /dev/sndstat:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:

from dmesg:
csa: card is Thinkpad 600X/A20/T20
pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> on csa0

I don't know what the "device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach
returned 6" means and how I can use that in any way.

--
Paul Beard / 8040 27th Ave NE / Seattle WA 98115 /
paulbeard [at] mac [ dot] com / 206 529 8400

weblog @ <http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>;

Basic is a high level languish.
APL is a high level anguish.