Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 23:10:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD UNIX left out of IA-64 information

On 4 Jun 1999, Bill Swingle wrote:
> Mike Smith was just standing over my shoulder reading this rather funny
> email written by Brett and had this to say:
>
> "I delegated that duty to Brett Glass at Comdex. This post is most
> likely a cover-up for his inablity to negotiate a deal with the Intel
> folks.  Tell him he's fired."

I don't see much of a point investing the effort to port to a CPU that is
still vapor and is likely to be a failure.  At the very least the initial
examples are likely to be priced out of the PC market.

I don't think it will be a big deal if more than a year passes before
FreeBSD has an IA-64 release.

Intel isn't going to stop selling PPRO derivatives any time soon and the
rest of the world isn't going to stop buying AMD products.

Intel could very easily find itself with no way to recoup the investment
they have made.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |