Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 03:27:00 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Mark Livingstone" <mlivingstone@ottawa.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NEED advice!

>We have a service at our university which provides access to e-mail/web/etc
in
> text mode.. Powered by Solaris, as soon as you enter the shell, it loads
HTML
> menu from which you navigate..

> My questions is: how is it done? I can make such kind of a menu, however,
> don't know how to load a it automatically for each user who's logging in..
if i
> put html file instead of the shell, it doesn't work.

Most likely they're calling Lynx or some other form of text-mode browser in
their login script.

Doing something like this will require:
1) the appropriate csh (.login) or sh (.profile) script written to trap
signals, so that users can't CTRL-C out of the login script and get a shell
prompt (see the 'trap' command in sh)
2) the last line of the login script should be "lynx http:/your.home.page;
exit"
3) a global lynx.cfg in /usr/local/etc which sets the default homepage.
This is the MOST IMPORTANT file here, since it is in this file you restrict
what your users can do with Lynx

When a user logs in, the 'trap' line in the login script prevents them from
breaking (CTRL-C) or suspending (CTRL-Z) the login process and getting a
shell prompt; the exit immediately after lynx will log them off as soon as
they quit Lynx.  The default home page (specified on the lynx command line
or in the global lynx.cfg) will have all the links to mail, news, whatever.

I used to work at an ISP where we used to do something like this for our
text users (except it was a custom curses-based app instead of Lynx.)

--
Matt Emmerton