Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:42:50 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1042558970.649101@mired.org>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   device probe order (Was: attaching a umass device?)

In <20030109153701.GF938@pcwin002.win.tue.nl>, Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl> typed:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 08:56:19AM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > I have no usb toys myself, but I gather it should be as easy as
> > > "mount -t msdos /dev/$foo /mnt/$bar". Then access the camera as a
> > > regular filesystem. Grep dmesg or syslog for "umass" to find out the
> > > device name.
> > It's probably da0s1. Even if you have real SCSI devices, it tends to
> > be da0 until you tweak the kernel to reorder them so you can boot :-(.
> I'm 'lucky' I only use my CF reader with ATA devices then... My long term
> goal was to use SCSI disks in my home desktop, so thanks for the headsup
> when I'm able to do that...
>
> I think this bug should be fixed, but I'm guessing it will be kind of hard
> to devise a 'device probe order', or is this already in the kernel?

You can work around this by hardwiring the device names in. I.e., I have:

device		ahc0		# AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
device		scbus0 at ahc0	# SCSI bus (required)

as the umass device defaults to scbus0, meaning the things on it get
lower numbers than the things on the ahc.

I didn't treat this as a bug, just an unpleasantness. It would be nice
if it changed, but I'm not going to initiate it happening.

The correct place to talk about this would be scsi@freebsd.org. If you
bring it up there, please include me on the to: line.

	<mike