Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 19:10:20 +0000 ()
From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@bsi.com.br>
To:        Brian Grams <gramsb1@airmail.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: really stuck

On Wed, 25 Dec 1996, Brian Grams wrote:

> I'll keep it short.  I get FreeBSD installed, up and running, but when I
> try to install ports and they reside on the second disk it doesn't ask
> for you to swap CD's - just says "can't be found" and won't install
> (during novice installation or later on working through
> /stand/sysinstall).  Trying to umount CD1 and mount CD2 won't seem to
> work either.  Checked all the FAQ's and DOC I could find and can't
> figure it out.
>
> In your infinite wisdom could you possibly condescend to help a newbee?
> Worked on computers for 20 years but this is my first venture into the
> UNIX realm.

Hello,

Try to install FreeBSD first.

Once the system is up and running, mount the CD1 (mount /cdrom)
and go to the /cdrom/packages/All
use the command pkg_manage in the directory.

It is easy to install a lot (400+) packages from the packages list than
porting it from the ports.

Hope this can help.

Sergio Lenzi.

Unix consult.