Date:      Mon, 17 May 2010 20:35:39 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        SmartTech Sales <sales@smarttech.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: download

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 06:37:49PM +0200, SmartTech Sales wrote:
> Thanks Jerry
>=20
> I had a reply that I should rather use 8.0 and there I can only download=
=20
> disk1, the rest I can get from the ports collection. (I'm not sure that I=
=20
> can download all 2GB of the DVD successfully, our bandwidth in SA is not=
=20
> great or very reliable)  We want to use freeBSD to setup NAS, do I need a=
ny=20
> of the ports to do this?

Looking at the work that has been put into making FreeNAS, it might be wort=
hwhile
to ask the developers when a version based on 8.x and supporting your card
will be available.

But if that is not an option, looking at the features of FreeNAS
[http://freenas.org/features], I'd say you need _at least_ the following po=
rts
to more-or-less replicate the functionality of FreeNAS;

Network protocols:
  - net/samba34 (for windows clients)
  - net/netatalk (for Apple clients)
  - ftp/proftpd (FTP)
  - net/rsync
  - net/unison
  - (NFS comes with the base system)
  - dns/inadyn
  - net/istgt

Extra Services
  - net-p2p/transmission (bittorrent)
  - net/mediatomb (UPnP server)
  - audio/firefly (iTunes/DAAP)
  - www/lighttpd or www/apache22 (web server)

System tools
  - sysutils/smartmontools (disk monitoring)
  - sysutils/rsyslog55 (secure remote logging)
  - ports-mgmt/portmaster (keeping ports up to date)
  - (portsnap comes with the base system.)
  - (sshd comes with the base system.)

What you'll be missing is the FreeNAS web setup tools. I would download and
install FreeNAS on a virtual machine just to look at the configurations for
the different ports, so you don't have to figure that out all by yourself. =
:-)

On the other hand, if you only have to serve files for MS Windoze clients, =
you
might get by with installing samba and its dependencies and not much
else. Anything that you don't install is one less item to configure and keep
up-to-date.

Roland
--=20

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3