Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 1996 11:11:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        bwm@iceonline.com (Matthew Asham)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Monitor Systems...

As Matthew Asham wrote:

> Is there a way to get FreeBSD to work with two display adapters (hercules
> and VGA).  The hercules card would be used as a debug monitor.  I've looked
> through the various kernel config files and sources but I haven't seen
> anything (yet).

To the best of my knowledge, it's not supported.  It has been on the
whiteboard for pcvt some time ago, but i don't think there's enough
interest to ever make this happen.

It doesn't buy you much more than a regular virtual terminal anyway.
(Note that the DOS friends don't have virtual terminals, so it _does_
buy them very much.)  If you are running X and your keyboard jams, you
are hosed, either with a single or with two monitors.  If you are
running X, and your keyboard doesn't jam, you can always revert to a
text screen.

If you are debugging an X server, your best bet is a serial console,
possibly including DDB on it.  Something the DOS freaks don't have,
either.  (Been there, done that.  Back in the days of a 386/16 with an
ET3000 card.)

--
cheers, J"org