Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:35:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>, Jeff Gao <jeff_gao@bctel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound blaster problem.

The first issue is to know if it is a Plug And Play card. If it is, you
must use the 'controller pnp0' line in the kernel. You must then add:
device          pcm0    at isa? port? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x15 vector
pcmintr

This is for my Sound Blaster 16. I don't know for other devices.

If it is not pnp, then it should work using:
controller     snd0
device         sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device         sbxvi0  at isa? drq 3
device         sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
device         opl0    at isa? port 0x388

This should do it...

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Jeff Gao wrote:

> I am running freebsd 2.26 on a 486 dx2/66 with 16 meg RAM.
> I have a Sound blaster 16 on IRQ 5, DMA 5.
>
> I add the following lines into the GENERIC kernel configuration file.
>
> controller  snd0
> device sbxvi0    isa? drq 5
>
> Then I execute the command /dev/MAKEDEV snd0
>
> rebuild and install the kernel.
>
> reboot.
> But I am still seeing the "sbxvi0:device no found" message.
>
> Does anyone know why?

Spidey

How 'bout a little ride through your own world?
http://www.JSP.UMontreal.CA/~beaupran/