Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:07 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux Netscape 2.0b6a?

>> Does somebody know, why those people at mcom deceided not to include
>> Java support into the BSDI binary ?
>
>I was told that it's because BSD/OS doesn't support the runtime loading
>of shared libraries (no dlopen(), dlsym(), etc).

Sigh.. That's disappointing.  The Linux version doesn't have or use it
(runtime loading) either.  The newer Linux ELF shared libraries have dlopen
etc, but the a.out system that the Linux version is compiled under does not.

For what it's worth, the Linux version is mostly statically linked and only
uses the libc.  It doesn't even use any X11 shared libs and doesn't come
with any of it's own libraries to do a dlopen() on..

>Yes, I already suggested that they do a FreeBSD native support then.
>I don't think they were too enthusiastic.. :-)
>
>					Jordan

I wonder if it's time to resort to terrorising their web server by posting a
program to do a steady stream of fake http lookups and specify a
cause a "blip" on their usage stats. (yes, Netscape does count and record
a profile of their users)  A few hundred sites with spare bandwidth doing
one reqest for "/" every 15 seconds might do it.

Naturally, I'm joking, but it is tempting.. :-)

Cheers,
-Peter