Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:51:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Art Bugorski <captainpinko@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Handbook, X11 Configuration

Hi, I'm new to FreeBSD. When I was trying to install
FreeBSD I tried to follow the handbook instructions as
closely as I could. I think I should explain that
while I have a fair of *nix experience I am by no
means a guru. As such, I wasn't concerned with fully
tweaking my X11 set-up and didn't read the Xorg
manpage.

However when X started I was frustrated to discover
that my scroll wheel on my mouse wasn't working. I had
it working under Linux (SuSE 9.1) with the same DE
(KDE 3.3) so I assumed it was a driver issue.

Fortunately, I mentioned the issue during a rant on a
user forum where someone pointed that I just had to
add:

Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

to my X11 configuration file for the scroll wheel to
work. I did this and the mouse worked flawlessly.

Considering how common the use of scroll wheels is,
and that it is a fairly basic method to set them up
requiring very little explanation, and that the
Handbook is meant as a general guide I believe it
would be beneficial if such a passge was added to the
handbook.

I do not subscribe to the mailing list (should I?)
since I don't believe I have much to contribute;
however, as I continue to explore FreeBSD I will
report any vagueness or privations as I find them to
this list in hopes to produce a better handbook.
Please feel free to foward to me any questions or
whatever.

If the mentioned passage exists then I'm sorry for
wasting people's time here.