Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:59:08 -0900
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>, David Newman <dnewman@networktest.com>, "A. Wright" <andrew@qemg.org>
Subject:   Re: recovering from a power outage

On Thursday 12 February 2009 16:24:25 A. Wright wrote:

> Can anyone corroborate that?  If so, does anyone know when
> ed started wanting to make a temp file even before any edits
> are made?  I am sure that ed has gotten me out of similar jams
> in the past, when I wanted to see part of a file in an unchecked
> root fs, and cat wouldn't fit the bill because the file was
> too long (and more and friends are far away on /usr, and therefore
> not available if still patching up the root).

=46rom ed(1):
=46ILES
     /tmp/ed.*  buffer file

Solution:
mdconfig -a -t swap -s 64m -o reserve -u 0
newfs -U /dev/md0
mount /dev/md0 /tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp

Also, there's /rescue/vi (since 7.0 I believe), which will complain=20
about /var/tmp/vi.recover, which you can a) ignore or b) use above procedur=
e=20
with -u 1 to create /var/tmp.
=2D-=20
Mel