Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 02:08:13 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Qt/KDE upgrade path

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 10:58:04PM -0800, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
>  * ---3,4 done fairly quickly, probably within 24 hours---
>  * 3a) Modify bsd.port.mk further to USE_NEWGCC-ify Qt.
>
> Don't worry about USE_NEWGCC.  The next release is from 4-current,
> where USE_NEWGCC is a no-op anyway.  We can fix that up after the
> release.

Okay, so I guess it's all right to just optimize everything for -STABLE,
and fix them later. If that's the case I'll just push all my build
scripts over to the -current box and redo the patches.

>  * 3b) Ensure that all kde*11 non-i18n ports work and upgrade them first.
>  * 4) Fix each other Qt/KDE-based port, one by one. This can be done fairly
>  *    quickly if the diffs are ready.
>
> So, are they all ready? :)

On my site, there are 40+ patches for some 55+ ports. I'd say most of
them are ready. Some ports are so old it's not worth trying to fix them.
(Although, a lot of these patches are obsolete now, so I'd have to renew
them. But since the hard work's been done for most of them already, we
only have to resynch them.)

>  * 5) Some ports will be left in the dust because of their old code. We
>  *    will deal with each on a port-by-port basis.
>  *
>  * Since we are so close to the Ports Freeze date, I believe Satoshi will
>  * probably object to doing this intricate process, other than steps 1 and
>  * 2. So for the time being any port that depends on USE_NEWGCC'd Qt/KDE
>  * shlibs will be broken for -STABLE. Some said ports have already be
>  * committed as such.
>
> I won't mind if -stable breaks for awhile if that means we can get a
> set of better qt/kde packages in 4.0-release.

All right. Optimization for 4.0-RELEASE it is then. I'll coordinate with
Chris Piazza and Bill (and perhaps Chris Faulhaber) if they'll be available
the next few days prior to the freeze.

So for ports that won't build on -STABLE, patches get sent in as BROKEN
for them, or do we just leave them broken with no notification?

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>