Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:52:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Subject:   Re: JDK install: Unpack source ?

> > No way.  I *never* look at the source code anymore, but then again, I've
> > no need to look at the source code except in rare cases.  I try very
> > hard to program to the API, rather than to look at the implementation
> > because it makes my programs more portable.
>
> Well, in some cases I *do* need to check the source code, *and* javadoc wants
> to have the JDK source code path specified in the -sourcepath
> parameter.

Why do you need to run javadoc?  The documentation is provided complete
in another port, so you should never need to run javadoc on the base
stuff, AFAIK.

> But while I'm writing this I'm wondering if (a) javadoc supports .jar
> files in the source path and (b) if I *really* need the source code
> for API docs generation, the Javadoc API docs should be enough.

Now you're talking . :)

> And the times I need to check the source code, is usually because the
> API docs don't tell me half the story, or because I want to know what
> approach is used in the JDK, for example w.r.t. the implementation of
> some collection classes.

Having done that for JDK1.0 and JDK1.1, I recommend you avoiding the
sources if at all possible.  Sun *radically* changed the internals class
implementations from 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 1.3.  By looking at the
internals, you are more likely to depend on 'internal' behavior that
will no longer be relevant in subsuquent releases.

Again, sometimes you have very little choice, but too many times this
comes back to bite you. :(

Nate