Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 2014 09:24:15 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Juanitou <listjm@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SQLi3 issue (port related?)

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 3:07 AM, Juanitou <listjm@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> > "libsqlite3.so.8" not found, required by=E2=80=A6
>
> I had this issue yesterday after updating the sqlite3 package from 3.8.4.=
3
> to 3.8.5_1. The latter comes from the FreeBSD-new_xorg repository. Firefo=
> complained about it and did not start. Reinstalling the previous package
> resolved it.
>
> Hope it helps,
> Juan

The sqlite3 port was updated to 3.8.5. It looks like this bumped the
version of libsqlite3.so from .0 to .8 due to an error in handling the
libtool generated version (0.8.6 was turned into .8 when it should have
been .0.) In other words, there was no version bump, but it looked like
there was. The error was fixed in the update to  3.8.5_1.

For those who did not update the port during the window of this error (just
over 3 hours on June 27), there was no problem. For those who did, it is a
bit of a mess as any ports that linked to libsqlite3.so during this window
now have a bogus link to libsqlite3.so.8 which no longer exists. Oops.

As usual, iI suggest running something like:
pkg_libchk -o | grep sqlite | cut -d: -f1 | sort
to get a list of ports that were updated during this window and re-install
them. (There are LOTS of ways to process the output of  "pkg_libchk -o".)

I do wish miwi had added a note about this to let people know what was
going on when these errors started popping up. Admittedly, this was
probably not a lot of people, but, as one who was bitten, a note would have
saved a bit of time in tracking down just what went wrong.

--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com