Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 18:54:13 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, richard@pegasus.com, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Multiple serial ports

John T. Farmer scribbled this message on Oct 2:
> Uh, actually, I've had good success with with several different brands
> for multiple terminals/printers/front-end system consoles all active at
> the same time.  Granted, I don't try to run the ports at greater than
> 56kbps.  Frankly, you don't need to.

why exactly??  a friend was dialed into my machine (using a 14.4k
internal!!) and we were sending some text down the line.. and he was
able to get 8kbytes/sec+ over the link.. and this is with a zoom 14.4k,
and a zoom 28.8k modem...  if I wasn't running the zoom at 115.2kbps, we
wouldn't of been able to do that... and instead would of slowed a
14.4kbps call...  (think if it was a 28.8k??)

plus also, there is a MAJOR reduction in the latency of a connection
when you run the speed faster..  for example, when another friend
upgraded to a Supra 288kbps modem, and I was still on my Supra 14.4k
modem.. the latency dropped 50ms JUST because his modem->computer rate
increased...  and then when I went to 28.8k also (both of these are
external), we dropped another 70-100ms in latency...

this also brings up that kernel ppp (pppd) is usually much lower latency
than iij-ppp...  the friend with his internal 14.4k (first example) and
my extern zoom 28.8k, we were able to knock off at least 20ms off ping
times because he went from iij-ppp over to ppp...  the last time we had
the connection up (he's moved, and much better connected) we were able
to do 140ms ping times over the 14.4k connection...

these may not seem much, but when your used to do typing of a wireless
ricochet modem, when at BEST will give you 350ms, mostly 400-450ms, you
REALLY becom aware of the problems with latency...

of course, then you just need to go FR or ISDN, and it'll be much
better..

ttyl...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD