Date:      Thu, 03 Jul 2014 09:36:27 -0700
From:      Patrick Powell <papowell@astart.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some suggestions about PKGNG documentation

--------------070104090906010508050004

OK OK OK - I just started using pkgng.   You know the ancient Chinese
curse - 'May you live in interesting times!',  well starting to use
pkgng was ... interesting.   Attached are some comments concerning the
documentation.  I hope you find them useful.

On a side note:  from reading the notice about the pending inhumation of
the pkg_xxx system in the Ports tree, until I converted to using pkgng
took less than a day.  It would have taken less time if I stopped
playing with 'pkg search' and other commands and concentrated on getting
the latest versions of the ports/packages installed. Poudriere is next
on my todo list..

I have been trying out the PKGng software, and would like to make some
suggestions and ask some questions. The comments and suggestions below
have been made from my notes when I was trying to figure out the pkgng
commands.

BIG SUGGESTION:

TUTORIAL:  The Savant's Guide To Ports, Packages, PkgNG
Try to put a lot of the information about pkgng, repositories,
etc. in a single place.  I suggest a tutorial format,  rather
than a user manual format,  with references to the various
man pages, other documents, etc.

1. Installation of PKGng
2. Ports - Use the Source, Luke!
3. Binary Packages - Let Somebody Else Do The Work
4. Respositories -
    - what they are
    - 'standard' repositories

5. Ports and Pkgng play together - when you use pkg to install
    a port then the port system will recognize that it has been
    installed.  Note: details on how this works would be good.

    An EXAMPLE of using
     portsnap fetch update
    Then:
     cd /.../block/port; make package;
      updating to latest version: portmaster, portupgrade
    OR
     pkg add block/port
      updating to latest version: pkg upgrade

    Discuss advantages, etc. of both methods

6. Simple commands/operations
    finding a package in a repository
    when was a package updated/created
    finding out the last update for a package
    installing a package from a reponsitory
    upgrading a package from a repository
    upgrading ONLY a single package from a repository

    Not so simple:
    making a package from a port
     Question: does 'make package' make a pkgng compatible package
    installing the package from a file - pkg add XXXX
    preventing pkg from updating its database from a respository
    multiple respositories

    Detailed explanations on pkg set, pkg autoremove and other
    non-obvious commands

    using 'pkg add' with a package generated from a port

7, Setting up a repository and using multiple repositories

SUGGESTION:
Update "http://blogs.freebsdish.org/portmgr/2014/02/03/time-to-bid-farewell-
to-the-old-pkg_-tools/" or point the entry in Mk/bsd.port.mk to an updated
version.

WHY:
The formatting seems to be a little off - <action> is present as well as
some
spurious UNICODE.  Also add a pointer to the
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkg/2013-October/000107.html
web page.

SUGGESTION:
The https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng web page has:

See Pkg packages availability announcement for more information on usage.
with a link to
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkg/2013-October/000107.html

Correct the
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkg/2013-October/000107.html
posting or point the link to a new one  that has the 'correct' repo file
entries:

Old:

FreeBSD: {
   url: "http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
   mirror_type: "srv",
   enabled: "yes"
}

Corrected:

FreeBSD: {
   url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
   mirror_type: "srv",
   enabled: yes
}

SUGGESTION:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pkgng-intro.html
   Using pkgng for Binary package management

Update and edit this document and add the information about specifying
the 'repos' information.
Add information to the WIKI page about the respository format,
purpose, structure, or whatever.  Also add this to the WIKI page.

If/When a tutorial is created, add a link to the tutorial.

SUGGESTION:
Add  'pkg repo' or 'man pkg-repo' to give details about the repositories
structure, format,
care and feeding, etc.

SUGGESTION: WIKI https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng#PKG

Add a link from the pkgng-intro.html to the WIKI Page.
Add information to the WIKI page about the respository format,
purpose, structure, or whatever.

Add the information in the https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgPrimer to this
document

--------------070104090906010508050004

I have been trying out the PKGng software, and would like to make some
suggestions and ask some questions. The comments and suggestions below
have been made from my notes when I was trying to figure out the

BIG SUGGESTION:

TUTORIAL:  The Savant's Guide To Ports, Packages, PkgNG
Try to put a lot of the information about pkgng, repositories,
etc. in a single place.  I suggest a tutorial format,  rather
than a user manual format,  with references to the various
man pages, other documents, etc.

1. Installaltion of PKGng
2. Ports - Use the Source, Luke!
3. Binary Packages - Let Somebody Else Do The Work
4. Respositories -
   - what they are
   - 'standard' repositories

5. Ports and Pkgng play together - when you use pkg to install
   a port then the port system will recognize that it has been
   installed.  Note: details on how this works would be good.

   An EXAMPLE of using
    portsnap fetch update
   Then:
    cd /.../block/port; make package;
     updating to latest version: portmaster, portupgrade
   OR
    pkg add block/port
     updating to latest version: pkg upgrade

   Discuss advantages, etc. of both methods

6. Simple commands/operations
   finding a package in a respository
   when was a package updated/created
   finding out the last update for a package
   installing a package from a reponsitory
   upgrading a package from a repository
   upgrading ONLY a single package from a repository

   Not so simple:
   making a package from a port
    Question: does 'make package' make a pkgng compatible package
   installing the package from a file - pkg add XXXX
   preventing pkg from updating its database from a respository
   multiple respositories

   Detailed explanations on pkg set, pkg autoremove and other
   non-obvious commands

   using 'pkg add' with a package generated from a port

7, Setting up a respository and using multiple respositories

with a link to http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkg/2013-October/000107.html

Correct the http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkg/2013-October/000107.html