Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:24:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Gabriel Mark Mains <gmains@damn-cool.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Printer sharing for Macs?

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> You probably will say Boo Hiss but if you want my opinion
> the easiest way to do this is to purchase a HP JetDirect
> printserver, either the internal card that goes into the
> 4MV or an external JetDirect EX+, both of which can be had
> for about $50 from Ebay, and will support both Appletalk
> and LPR on your network.
>
> >I am trying to configure Netatalk so that I can share my HP 4MV printer
> >with the Macintosh computers on my LAN. I have tried to consult the man
> >pages but I can't seem to figure out how to configure it to work. Does
> >anyone know of a place I can find an easy How-To or something to get me
> >started?

I think it should be no problem to make netatalk running - I do so for at
less three years now without serious problems.

You need to:

1. Recompile your kernel with AppleTalk support:
=09options         NETATALK

2. Install the netatalk package or build the netatalk port.

3. Take a look at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/netatalk.sh; papd
   has to be started, afpd not.

4. Edit the file /usr/local/etc/papd.conf; put something into
   like:

hp|HP Laser Printer:\
        :pd=3D/usr/local/etc/ppd/hp4si.ppd:\
        :pr=3Dhp:

pd defines the full path name of the PostScript printer description file
corresponding to your printer, and pr defines the corresponding FreeBSD
printer queue in /etc/printcap. Ask your Macintosh users for the PPD file
if you don't know where to get it from.

Best wishes

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg