Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:00:52 -0800
From:      "Cliff, Calvin" <CCliff@mednet.ucla.edu>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Securing FreeBSD and CVSUP

Hi,

I've been experimenting with FreeBSD for my department web server and I'm
concerned
about making it more secured. I installed my system last October and looked
into using
CVSUP to keep it updated but was too chicken to try it since I already have
5 virtual
web sites running on it. I tried using cvsup with a test directory and
noticed that a number
of files will be edited and some deleted. I have two questions:
is it safe?
do I need to reboot or rebuild my kernal to take advantage of the updated
files?

Secondly, I was looking for a simple HowTO on making the system more secure.
I don't have anonymous ftp's enabled and I do use the regular telnet. Is
there a
simple list of things I can do to make it more secured without using
Kerberos?  I do
have access to a SSH telnet/ftp available from my client systems.

Lastly, I also noticed that since I installed my system last october, I get
a few messages on
my console screen each month about ftpd, popd, rshd and/or rogind attempts
that seem
to fail. I don't recognize the client host addresses as anyone who should
have access
so I'm assuming that hackers are trying to crack my system. Should I be
trying to contact
those sysadmins about those attempts?

Thanks for the information, FreeBSD seems to be much safer than Linux.

Calvin Cliff
UCLA Neurology
710 Westwood Plz C-128
Los Angeles CA 90095