Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:10:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@hamell.hpc1.com>
To:        Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install Question: Make my own install CD?

> I will soon be acquiring a new computer, which will allow me to upgrade to a
> real operating system.  I'm definitely interested in FreeBSD, but I don't have
> a credit card to order the CD from Walnut Creek, and FTP over 56k modem doesn't
> sound like a whole lot of fun.  Just to be curious, if I go with the base
> system, X Windows, KDE, and client-side Internet apps, any rough guess on how
> long such an FTP would take?

	My basic install over a 56k Modem, including ports takes about 4-5
hours or so. Not really to bad IMHO. The only thing I ever worry about
when I do that is somebody picking up the phone, while the install program
deals pretty well with dropped connections, it dosen't have a 'resume'
function.

> Since I've never actually installed any flavour of Unix before, I'm
> kinda reluctant to install FreeBSD without the "official" CD.  Unless
> I'm fairly confident in the above plan, I may go with Linux.  I know a
> store where I can get the CDs (and I'd even have a choice, but from what
> I've heard, I'd probably go with Debian.)

	There is no reason not to install it without the CD. I've done
maybe not hundreds, but certainly over 50 installs via modem/ftp and have
had no problems that I wouldn't have had with the CD install.

					Rick