Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 02:03:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   which files to edit to alter networking information

Hi all,

I installed Freebsd4.10 from the university network
through dhcp. I had to alter some settings but it
worked fine and I can access the internet. I got a
hostname from the network and everytime I start
Freebsd, it searches for that hostname.

However, I will use my laptop now from home where we
have a cable broadband connection. With a
router/switch I want to access the internet now from
my home.

But how do I accomplish this? Which files should I
edit and what should I put there? I guess my router
will be put after the cable modem and I want to give
the two pc's I have a fixed IP adress.
Can someome help me with this?

How do I do that? What about the hostname the machine
now got automatically? How do I remove it or alter it
to suit my own needs? I don't know which files to
edit.

Thanks in advance