Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 00:07:28 -0700
From:      Jay Dresser <jay@dresserfamily.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libxml2 2.4.23 build fails

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:25:04AM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 16:38, Jay Dresser wrote:
> > [I sent this first to the xml mail list, but they said it should go to
> > the FreeBSD maintainer]
> >
> > I wanted to upgrade my gtk-gnutella, so I got version 0.90 and it
> > complained about not having a new enough libxml2.  I had libxml2
> > 2.4.12 and it wanted at least 2.4.19, so I looked around and found
> > 2.4.23 and downloaded it.  The make fails as shown below.  It's hard
> > to follow the thread of what happens after I type make, so I'm not
> > sure where the bug is that passes the wrong parameter to xargs.  Maybe
> > there is some other prerequisite, but it does not say.  I am running
> > FreeBSD 4.5, freshly installed a few weeks ago.  Any advice is greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> Make sure you have the latest /usr/ports/Mk/* files.  Don't make it a
> policy of just updating certain port directories.  You must always keep
> a current version of the Mk directory, as this is the ports
> infrastructure that makes it all work.

Wow!  That fixed it!  libxml2 OK, gtk-gnutella OK.  Thanks a lot.

I never knew about that Mk directory before.  Good to know.  I guess
you're saying I need to update that directory as often as I download
new ports.  This may explain a few other builds I have had that failed
in the past.

--
Jay Dresser / jay@dresserfamily.org