Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:08:37 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Alex Michlin <alex@delete.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.10004211424240.5248-100000@cx638115-d.sthngtn1
.ct.hom
e.com>, Alex Michlin writes:
> How can a hacker enable promiscious mode though an ftp connection?
> I did a `last` to see who, if anyone, logged on and the only logon I saw
> was an ftp connection from an @home machine.  I don't see any extra
> programs running on the machine.  Do I need to be concerned about telnet
> passwords, etc?
>
> Apr 20 13:10:12 hostname /kernel: xl0: promiscuous mode enabled

Are you sure it's a hacker?  Do these "events" coincide with other
events, e.g. system boot, an application starting, etc.?  For example,
we use an application called egd (entropy gathering daemon) on our
servers on our raised floors, which puts the interfaces into
promiscuous mode, among other entropy gathering things done, just after
boot to initially set up its entropy pool.  Therefore I can directly
correlate promiscuous mode with system boot.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC