Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 19:12:27 -0400
From:      mgruver@reveregroup.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I think I have a DNS caching problem...

I am a FreeBSD Newbie who recently installed Version 4.4 on a small server.  I
am using it as a dual-homed host?, or gateway?, or NAT/Firewall for a LAN in my
home.  I installed 4.4 pretty bare-bones on a Pentium 90 with two ethernet cards
in it.  One was connected to my Road Runner Motorola cable modem and configured
for DHCP.  The other was connected into the hub and given a 192.168.x.x
non-routable.

I edited the /etc/rc.conf with vi to verify the gateway_enabled="YES" and
natd_enabled="YES" and natd_interface=dc0 (yes is is a cheat Netgear card but
the other one is a 3Com!).  I specifically did not enable the firewall keywords
or recompile the Kernel with the IPFIREWALL IPDIVERT options.  I had a bad
experience over the past few weeks with that (which I won't go into).

I edited the /etc/hosts file (which after additional experimentation I don't
think I needed to do that) and went back to the /stand/sysinstall and loaded a
little goody I found in /usr/local/sbin/tinyproxy -a Host: -a Authorization: and
had a working http proxy server for my Windows 9X systems in the house (they all
work after setting the proxy setting in IE with the 192.168.x.x IP of the server
and the port to 8080).

However, the problem is DNS name queries (I hope I am using the correct term
here) fail from inside the LAN.  I can ping hosts by name (www.interland.com)
from the server, however I can't from the Windows boxes inside.

I started the named daemon (with no options) but that hasn't helped.

BTW, my paltry FreeBSD server/config has already resisted three (3) seperate
intrusion attempts in less than 24 hours!

Any ideas?...

Thanks,

mgruver@reveregroup.com