Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:49:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Chris Jesseman <chris@sitemajic.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: du -df inconsistency - get fsck to fix?

Chris Jesseman <chris@sitemajic.net> types:
> Good day,
> My /var is full and I can't figure out how to release [mis]used space. I
> suspected an open accounting file because a few weeks ago I started moving the
> accounting, logs & email files over to /usr and just linking them from /var...
> However, I am unsure how to regain the space.
>
> fsck docs(Appendix A) imply that to clean the file the file system has to be
> unmounted. Is this correct? Please advise an optimal solution.

Well, "optimal" depends on your goals.  Looks like you've got a server
log file you rm'ed from the file system, but the server is still
logging to it. You need to convince the server to close the log file,
which will cause it to be removed from the disk. If worst comes to
worst, doing a shutdown and reboot will solve the problem.

	<mike