Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:12:49 -0400
From:      "Richard G. Roberto" <rgr@dedlegend.com>
To:        Quintin Riis <webmaster@countrypure.net>, "Richard G. Roberto" <thedoors@lepen.pair.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPU usage goes way up on 5.1 when memory is added

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 03:22:51 -0600, Quintin Riis wrote
> Install GENERIC kernel and see if the problem persists.
>
> 		Quintin

I played around with various options this weekend.  First I tried just
switching the scheduler to the 4BSD version and got this:

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
instruction pointer     = 0x0:0xa00
stack pointer           = 0x0:0xffe
frame pointer           = 0x0:0x0
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0x0, type 0x0
                        = DPL 0, pres 0, def32 0, gran 0
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, vm86, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 ()
trap number             = 30
panic: unknown/reserved trap
cpuid = 0;
Uptime: 1s

So, I tried booting the GENERIC kernel that came with the system (even
though its not SMP).  This booted OK, but hung trying to start up squid and
I suspect various other utilities.  I'm guessing this was due to memory
shortage (which was why I added the memory).  There were no errors at all,
so I really don't know why it got scrogged.

So, then I tried taking the generic kernel conf file and adding just SMP,
IPSEC & IPFIREWALL support.  Again, this is using the 4BSD scheduler.  I got
the same panic.  This is all with the same 384MB of RAM that works just fine
with the SMP kernel I compiled with the ULE scheduler.

This system has never been so fragile, so I'm wondering if a strange
hardware problem is creeping in.  I just don't know why its so selective
about showing its teeth though.  So, I'm back to happily running the ULE SMP
kernel with 384MB of memory, wishing I could just add some more memory.  If
anyone can offer any more insight as to why the additional RAM causes the
CPU usage to flake out, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,

rgr

--
Richard G. Roberto