Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 2003 20:23:23 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Peorth <Peorth@artificial.ath.cx>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: groff and mkdep?

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:08:33PM -0700, Peorth wrote:
> That seems so weird.
> CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS were set to something in the general environment,
> for non-port builds, but I thought the FreeBSD make system used for
> ports and such wouldn't get polluted by simply having that defined as a
> variable in the env. *headscratch* Maybe just my mistake, but thanks a
> lot. I never would've realized it was CFLAGS! Perhaps make should warn
> if setting CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS are going to pollute, at least on certain
> things like in the /usr/src tree, though up 'till that point, everything
> built fine, too. *shrug*
>=20
Hmm.  From the make(1) manpage:

: The four different classes of variables (in order of increasing prece-
: dence) are:
:=20
: Environment variables
:      Variables defined as part of make's environment.
:=20
: Global variables
:      Variables defined in the makefile or in included makefiles.
:=20
: Command line variables
:      Variables defined as part of the command line.
:=20
: Local variables
:      Variables that are defined specific to a certain target.  The
:      seven local variables are as follows:

Are you telling me that setting CFLAGS in the ENVIRONMENT causes
this strange behavior?  (I cannot reproduce it here, because
environment variables are of a lower precedence than globals.)

Are you sure you weren't running make(1) with the -e option?
(I can reproduce this with this option, as it causes environment
variables to take higher precedence than globals.)

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software Ltd,