Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:51:19 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating Apache

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:39:42PM +0100, William Palfreman wrote:
> Hi.  I'm upgrading Apache from 1.3.24 to 1.3.26 as per the security
> advisory.  Lots of packages have apache as a dependency, so I don't
> really want to pkg_delete -f it.

So long as you then install the updated version of the port,
pkg_delete -f typically won't break the dependents.  The package
dependency tracking data in /var/pkg will get a bit trashed, but you
can probably live with that.

Of course, the eternal refrain is "install the sysutils/portupgrade
port".  Then you can do:

	portupgrade www/apache13

and all of the i-dotting and t-crossing will be handled for you.

> So, what I'm supposed to do is copy my httpd.conf to a safe place, cd
> into /usr/ports/www/apache13/ and make install, then copy the httpd.conf
> back?

Common sense says that keeping a backup of httpd.conf and your
document root and cgi-bin directories is a really, really good idea.
However, updating the port won't trash httpd.conf. Neither will it
trash /usr/local/www/{data,cgi-bin} if you've done what the directory
layout hints at, and made your own customised versions of those
directories.  Leaving them still sym-linked to
/usr/local/www/{data,cgi-bin}.default can have unintended
consequences, as some have found to their cost.

> Is there any reason not to just make the port and copy the compiled
> httpd binary from where it is in the work tree over
> /usr/local/sbin/httpd?  This is what I've done and it "seems to work".
> Am I setting myself up for any problems by doing this instead?

If I was going to do that I'd copy not just the httpd binary but any
loadable modules and the apxs program too.  It will all probably work
fine, but then why risk it?  Updating your ports the usual way will
work do the job pretty much painlessly.

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK