Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:03:20 -0700
From:      "Max Flatulence" <max_flatulence@hotmail.com>
To:        K.Mussai@mahatma.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for a laptop

>Hello to all,
>             I am interested in buying a laptop,so tht I can freeBSd > on
>it but I am having a bit of difficulty in choosing one.  Could
>anyone help me on this.
>Thank you.
>Regards,
>Kailesh

It depends on what you value in a laptop.  Do you want a light laptop (read:
slightly older technology) or a heavy notebook (cutting edge tech
available)?  Do you want to run more than one OS?  Do you care about all
your features working under each OS?

I think most would recommend a Sony Vaio if you want a light laptop.

I wanted something that could play all of today's games (in windows), but
still run freebsd.  I bought the dell insirion 8000.  It has some issues:
apm -z has issues when resuming (ata hdd wedges the machine upon resume),
the sound is not supported under freebsd, and firewire is not currently
recognized under freebsd.  I have a 3Com Mini PCI 10/100 NIC and use the
PCMCIA Lucent WaveLAN Gold for wireless.  I highly recommend getting the
Mini PCI -- they come in two flavors: fxp or xl -- both come with winmodems
but that doesn't bother freebsd.  Other notes:  I did a current cvs checkout
of xfree86 4.0.2 to get video support (1440 x 1050 is grand, the newer i8k's
allow for 1600 x 1280 on the same video card).  The i8k feels like (is) a
very flimsy piece of equipment.  It flexes and creaks, non-stop.

Given my needs, I would most likely buy the dell inspiron 8000 if I had to
do it over again.

Max, er, Adam

ps:  Sorry about the hotmail, last time I posted to freebsd-mobile I got
tons of spam from evil, address harvesting slimeballs.