Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:00:52 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Long delays in ftp

I have a few machines networked. One is running FreeBSD 4.1 stable circa
July 17th (gateway to the net with two 3Com 3c509b cards) and the other
is a Win98 machine with a Linksys LNE100TX card.

When uploading files to the FreeBSD machine things go really fast (roughly
5Mb/s, which isn't bad). However when I download from the FreeBSD, transfer
rates go way down (barely above 1Mb/s) Plus, anything coming from the 'net
just pretty much crawls to a halt when I ftp internally. At first I thought
this was
caused by collisions (since transfer usually stopped when there was a
collision).
However, I've seen instances where transfer just goes on even with collisions
so I'm not sure what kind of an impact this would have. I know that the
drivers for 3c509 cards aren't completely solid, but I don't think that
explains
the behaviour I'm seeing. Would anyone know what could be causing this
kind of behaviour?

Thanks!