Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:57:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   psm device and XFree86 4

Hello,

I upgraded my box to the latest -current yesterday and also rebuilt
XFree86 4. Last one was from August.

Aside from some configuration hassles that were easy to overcome
thanks to the UPDATING file and comparison of my config with
NOTES and GENERIC, I had big problems today with my Microsoft
Intellimouse (two buttons, one wheel/button) -- the mouse pointer
produced garbage movement and click events when I moved the mouse.

After scanning freebsd-current, I found some messages by Christian
Weisgerber and Trent Nelson were the protocol option from
etc/X11/XF86Config played a role.

And indeed it turned out that my problem was gone, when I
changed

    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "auto" #"PS/2" #"IntelliMouse"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psm0"

from "PS/2" to "auto". Note that I run no moused.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Marc