From:      Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What is freebsd

Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> what\'s wrong with communism ? fundimentaly it\'s a good idea,
> only problem is people are corrupt.

On the surface it appears to be a good idea, but there is a subtle flaw in
communism.  Unless I am mistaken, the concept behind communism is that all
things are equal.  Everyone owns everything.  This sounds GREAT, it is most
definitely a feel-good way to look at the world.

It was not the desire for all to be equal that provoked man to leave the caves
and start farming.  Humans are lazy creatures, man started farming because it
was easier then living in caves and hunting, it was also more comfortable.

One must also look at the fact that man is a pack animal.  In all packs there
are those that want to be lead and those that want to lead.  Those that want
to lead have the desire to lead because they are competitive creatures.  In
one-way or another every man (and woman) is competitive.

The subtle, but fatal, flaw in the idea that everyone owns everything is that
competition must be eliminated.  Without competition, there is no reason to
work.  If working will not make your life more enjoyable, why work?

The reason the USA has so many people well off is because if you work hard,
you will be successful.  The downside is that if you don’t work hard, you will
be left out in the cold.  It is up to the individual who is successful to help
those who are trying to become successful; it is NOT the government’s job.  In
the USA there are a lot more successful people out there helping others the
one might think, it simply is not news worth and/or not advertised.

An example, a classmate of my stepdaughter is having problems in school.  My
stepdaughter had been tutoring the classmate after school until other girls
started to get jealous.  After the whole mess finally calmed down, the
classmate still wanted my stepdaughters help.  This young lady stayed at
school for an hour and half until her mother (divorced) could pick her up at
school.  But my wife and I knew the right thing to do was to reach out to this
young lady and have her come to our house after school so my wife (who is a
full time mom) could help out both young ladies.  I am not looking for praise;
my point is that I believe there is a lot of this type of thing going on in
the USA, those with that are helping those without.

In a capitalistic society like the USA, those that want to work hard and
prosper can do exactly that.  And those that want to be lazy can have hard
lives can do that.  Anyone and everyone is free to do as they please.  With
communism everyone is brought down to a common level.  It is easier to take
away from those that have then it is to give to those without.

In my opinion the idea is that the government prevents others from getting in
your way and prevents you from stopping others from succeeding.  One hundred
years ago that was not the way things where in the USA, but they are much
closer to that today!