Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:55:49 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Daniel J. Frost" <lethvian@maine.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I can ping, but not use tcp programs

"Daniel J. Frost" wrote:

> Hello,
> I can ping anyone from this freebsd 3.2-stable machine, and ping from
> any machine, but I cannot use any tcp services (ie, I can't telnet, nor
> can people telnet into that machine)...unless the machine is on the same
> network, in which both ends would have no restrcitions. I've looked at
> ipfw, and tcp wrappers, they both are fine...any ideas?

	That sounds like maybe you aren't "logged in" to your local roadrunner
network. Take a look at http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/dhcp.html and let me
know if the rrlogin program does the trick for you. If not, and you come up
with another solution please contact me by private e-mail and let me know
so I can put it on my page.

San Diego Road Runner sufferer,

Doug