Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2014 13:53:41 +0100
From:      Gabor Pali <pgj@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Euan Thoms <euan@potensol.com>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?Michael_Gr=C3=BCnewald?= <michipili@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OCAML version 3 (legacy)

Hi Euan,

>    However, I was suggesting we have a legacy port for OCAML 3.x, just
>    like we have for php and other important stuff that newer versions
>    breaks things.

If you are really in need for the 3.x version of OCaml compiler, you
may want to try OPAM [1].  That is the ocaml-opam package [2] in the
FreeBSD repositories.

Although OPAM is dubbed as a "package manager", it can actually manage
different compiler versions, using its "switch" command [3].  Then you
could install OCaml packages atop that compiler separately, isolated
from other instances, giving the advantage of working with multiple
OCaml versions at the same time.

[1] https://opam.ocaml.org/
[2] http://www.freshports.org/devel/ocaml-opam
[3] https://opam.ocaml.org/doc/Advanced_Usage.html