Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:22:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Niall Brady <bradyn@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Cal Cornils <cornils@community.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot FreeBSD from a floppy?

Yep, as Duke said, the question was answered earlier in the week (when
asked by me :)

The way it worked for me was that during the install I chose the "Don't
touch MBR" option... yet it still did... but I guess an fdisk /mbr (or
Partition Magic or the like) should do the trick... so *exercise caution*
if you're unsure... (that was what happened with 3.2 Release for me)

[In any case, you'll need some way of getting into FreeBSD first of all,
 in order to prepare a suitable boot floppy.]

The method that I found best in the end was to take the first of the
install floppys, and (assuming that the floppy is mounted on /floppy) then
remove the kernel file on the floppy, and the included config files.

In other words, the remaining directory structure is...

	/floppy/boot.config

	/floppy/boot/boot1
	/floppy/boot/boot2
	/floppy/boot/loader

So at that point, you'll need to whack a line like

	0:wd(1,a)kernel

into /floppy/boot.config

What that will do is look for IDE interface 0 (specified by 0:wd), then
it'll go to slice 1, partition a (slice 0 is the 1st slice, slice 1 is the
2nd etc.);
then it will load the file named kernel that it finds there.

You can do fancier stuff if need be with the following line...

	0:wd(1,a)/boot/loader

That will run the program called /boot/loader on the hard disk, which will
let you configure PNP cards and similar fun stuff.

Best of luck!

--
	Niall