Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 22:39:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mushroom TheCat <thecatm@yahoo.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 Stability

Ok here's what happened, I think it could be bad
networking somewhere but FYI...

The initial install went fine.  I managed to down load
the binaries and basic components with no trouble.
(From behind a plug-proxy Gauntlet firewall)

10 Min's later I had an error message on the build of
fetchmail that implied that I needed the compat22 and
3x libs.

I started the /stand/sysinstall program and selected
the required distributions.  I chose the same
setting's as before (ie FTP) and then selected the
master site at ftp.freebsd.org.  The machine just hung
at the logging onto freebsd.org screen.

thinking it was simply an overloaded server I tried
another site ftp2.freebsd.org and got the same
message.  I then tried the server again and it failed
with ftp connection in wrong state.

I tried a number of different combinations of ftp site
and even tried to install some packages which worked.

I also had the same problems with downolading the
ports collection via /stand/sysinstall/ which failed.
Eventually I resorted to using ftp manually and
collecting my components from the command line
(learning a lot about the install process at the same
time).  Worthy of note here is the fact that mget
failed on ftp once, it just hung the Xfonts.

All a bit strange as I then did an ftp install of 3.4
and had not a single problem.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your time.

MCT