Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 22:16:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net (Philippe Regnauld)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Monitor Systems...

As Philippe Regnauld wrote:

> 	... Let's say I'm not debugging an X server :-)
>
> 	As I said earlier, my prior concern is not toasting my 19" monitor
> 	(it's a fixed frequency) in the time between bootup and the start
> 	of the X server.  I'd gladly use a serial console, but:
>
> 	1) From what keyboard does the X take its input once I've
> 	   started X from the serial console?
>
> 	2) How do I keep my undisciplined VGA (Diamond 968) from sending
> 	   a signal to the monitor until I tell it to? :-)

Don't worry about the flickering picture on your screen while the
machine is booting.  The frequencies are way below the freq's your
monitor could grok, so it's simply a matter that you cannot recognize
anything.  It doesn't hurt anyway.  I know several people who are
using such a configuration.

If you have a serial console (but of course, still a console driver
for the graphics console, too), this is where the boot messages will
appear, and where you can run a single-user session.  You could try
using a serial console by entering -h at the boot prompt, or you could
enforce it by uncommenting the FORCE_SERIAL_CONSOLE in
/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/Makefile, rebuilding and reinstalling your
boot blocks, and run disklabel -B to install the new boot blocks.

(Note that FORCE_SERIAL_CONSOLE has been broken in 2.0.5; an #if 0
was offset by a few lines.)

--
cheers, J"org