Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:07:27 +0000
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        Jason F Wells <jason+freebsd@routermonkey.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard detection in 4.2-RELEASE, 4.2-STABLE

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 10:19:23AM -0700, Jason F Wells wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:08:10PM +0000, Greg MATTHEWS wrote:
> > would i be right in assuming that freebsd works like other unixen
> > (sunos/solaris in my exp) in that booting without k/b forces the i/o through
> > the console (serial) port. therefore plugging a kb in has no effect.
>
> I don't think this is the case, as the console output still goes to the
> monitor. I've also played with the settings in /boot.conf (using -D as the
> flag) to force console to always go to screen / keyboard.
>
> As I said before; it used to work, until 4.2; I'm just looking for
> what has changed, and if there's any way to set it back.

Try removing the flags 0x1 from the atkbd0 line of your config file, that
fixed my problems with the same sort of thing, basically it means that if
it can't detect any keyboard then it doesn't install the keyboard device.

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org
"Why do I get this urge to go bowling everytime I see Tux?"