Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:07:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Evan S <kaworu@sektor7.ath.cx>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: changing kernsecurelevel

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Evan S wrote:

> Mm, Openroot runs on -CURRENT, and users are able to apply those flags
> to files. But, I made a little patch, and it seems to work. They're not
> able to do it anymore.

Aha.  They can add, but not remove, right?  That probably should be
changed -- feel free to e-mail me a patch and I'll apply as appropriate.

> Other than that I'm happy with the way Jail works. The above was the
> only problem I had.

Great.  Contributions in this space are always welcome :-).

There is a patch in the PR database, btw, that deals with another problem
with jail() that you might potentially run into: resource limits are
currently global in scope, and not per-jail().  This has positive and
negative aspects, and the patch doesn't address all of the problems that
need to be addressed, I believe.  Really, we'd like to have per-jail
resource limits, and then within that scope per-uid-per-jail limits.
However, the current resource mechanism is not structured to support this.
I believe the patch addresses the per-uid-per-jail aspect, but does not
allow the host administrator to specify per-jail limits to bound the
resources allocated to a particular jail.  With the gradual cleanup of
credentials and resources limit structures, as well as a possible eventual
move of the jail pointer into ucred or pcred, this problem will probably
be more easily addressed.