Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:08:04 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maximum accounts per system (?)

In the man page for adduser(8) I see the following:

    uid     Automatically generated or your choice, must be less than 32000.

I have a number of questions about this ``magic number'' 32,000.

Where did this come from?  What is its significance?

More importantly, I have to ask... Are there really no FreeBSD systems
in existance that have more than 32,000 user accounts??

I would have hoped that I could have gotten at least 65535 accounts before
FreeBSD ran out of steam!

Also, looking in /usr/include/sys/types.h I see that the `uid_t' type is
defined to be the same as a `u_int32_t'.  The implication of that fact
would seem to be that I really _ought_ to be able to create at least about
4 billion separate accounts on one single FreeBSD system.

So what gives?  Why can't I?