Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:00:00 -0800
From:      Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
To:        Mike Hunter <mhunter@ack.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assymetric results from iperf across gigabit link (long)

--==_Exmh_-966797664P

> On Jan 30, "To freebsd-net@freebsd.org" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> [snip]
>
> I switched the two pieces of hardware, and the photons still prefer going
> uphill, so maybe there's a problem with the fiber after all.  I'd still
> appreciate any hints on what to ask freebsd to help me figure it out.
> (Yes, we have real fiber test gear, this is more of an experiment.)

Have you looked at interface error counts?  (netstat -inbd)  If you
have dirty fiber, you could just be missing/corrupting the odd packet
here and there, which would be enough to impact a high-bandwidth TCP
flow.

the other thing to check is if a UDP cannon has the same bandwidth
asymmetry, since the UDP iperf tests don't have TCP's timidity (if
memory serves me)....

		--eli