Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:55:41 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Ken Kyler" <ken@kyler.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Firewalls for Morons

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:50:04 -0400, Ken Kyler wrote:

>Interesting.  I had initially built the kernel with...
>
># added by kyler
>options IPFIREWALL
>options IPDIVERT
>options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
>#options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

Those options look ok.
Just to be on the safe side why don't you take out the default_to_accept and re-build the kernel.

The only thing I have which you did not listed is
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=50 #Limit verbosity

But that shouldnt' be the reason why you are not getting anything logged. It wouldn't hurt to add it
anyway.

>They have to be as everything works fine once I add the rule "ipfw add allow
>all from any to any"

I am running out of suggestions.
Try with an "open" firewall. Then ad a rule from a shell
ipfw add ## allow log from any to any

Make ## a number lower than the existing "allow any to any" rule.