Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:30:40 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is a new port acceptable (PR/126872)

Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> (from Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:49:17 +0300)=
:

> Hello All,
>

> there is a PR to create a new linux port:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/126872
>
> This port seems to be an infrastructure linux port. Usually we create
> new infrastructure linux ports when they are needed to run some other
> linux application. This port is not required by any. Hence I'm not
> sure if this port is needed.
>
> Should this port be committed? What do you think? Thanks!

What about asking the submitter how this is supposed to be used?

So far I haven't come up with a situation where it makes sense to =20
commit it. If it is used in a chroot, then I would assume one of the =20
gentoo linux base ports, and then the gentoo infrastructure should be =20
used to install it. If it is used as a stand-alone scripting language, =20
the native one should work too. If it is used from some linux binary =20
(linking to tcl libs), it would be interesting to know which binaries =20
are involved, and if there will be a port for them or not (if it is =20
some popular commercial package, there may be no port available soon, =20
but it would make sense to have the linux-tcl port in the tree).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
A beginning is the time for taking the
most delicate care that balances are correct.
=09=09-- Princess Irulan, "Manual of Maud'Dib"

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137